June ninth

June 6, 2013

The days are rolling on by and so many things are happening.  I still have much I want to do, though.  But that's what summer is for, isn't it?  Mornings here are late and cozy and full of fluffy yellow stuff they tell me is sunshine.  That slightly cool part of the day is spent over strong coffee (Louisiana's signature, y'all) and sitting on the porch listening to stories and ideas and advice and everything in between.  It's just so relaxing not having to do anything.  But then, nothing needs to be done.

Yesterday afternoon, at the south horizon, the sky was charcoal gray.  It was pretty then.  It's shadow came rushing over the ground so rapidly I could see the light fade.  Then the wind picked up speed and as the dark clouds sneaked overhead in the sky, leaves filled the air.  A few drops of rain started and then it was barrels pouring down.  I have honestly never been through a rainstorm where I couldn't see a few yards in front of me.  I spent about five minutes in the beginning part of the storm, finishing up some work with my pappaw.  The thunder clapped and the lightening always seemed close.  Inside where it was dry and warm, the power went out and it was very dark.  But in  a couple hours, most of the puddles were getting soaked up by the sun, drops of leftover rain clung to Nana's roses that miraculously made it through, and nothing made noise.  Something in nature moved over and made room for quietness.  Or who knows, that might have been country silence.  Little boys played in the ponds of rainwater and the sun glowed.

4 comments:

  1. This makes me incredibly nostalgic.

    I wanted to weep when I saw the photographs you included.

    And I practically felt like sobbing my heart out when I read your words. You finished th post beautifully and perfectly:

    'Little boys played in the ponds of rainwater and the sun glowed.' *de ja vu*

    Love you to bits.

    Acacia

    post script. I have a little giveaway that's up and sizzling on my little blog now; care to enter? You'd make my day if you did. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hullo, love!

      You're so sweet and you always make my day with your kind words.
      I really appreciate your asking me to join the giveaway-- you have some beautiful things you're giving away that are super darling-- but I stay out of giveways. For no real reason except I just prefer watching the excitement ;) Thank you anyways Acacia! <3

      Delete
  2. as acacia described it beautifully...this is so nostalgic. it's beautiful and heartfelt and honest and just plain wonderful. you're going to be so happy you documented these moments when you did...and that last bit at the end. *swoons*

    love you to pieces and everything that you do and write. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The days are rolling on by and so many things are happening. I still have much I want to do, though. But that's what summer is for, isn't it? Mornings here are late and cozy and full of fluffy yellow stuff they tell me is sunshine."
    Mmmhh...I like that very much, it describes my feelings on summer at el momento. Oh, that phrase "Full of fluffy yellow stuff they tell me is sunshine" I just LOVEIT! Hearing sunshine described as "fluffy yellow stuff" is not something I hear often, (ever actually!) and I love the mental picture it brings with it.

    "But in a couple hours, most of the puddles were getting soaked up by the sun" " Little boys played in the ponds of rainwater and the sun glowed."

    Isn't that how it is after a storm though? It just tickles me green down to my toes. =)

    This is a beautifully thought out post Gabs!! ♥ and it DOES bring back memories of 'after rain' afternoons when I was a little kid.

    ♥♥ xx `Jenny

    ReplyDelete