Friday mornings + muffins

May 11, 2013


Honestly, I like Fridays better than the weekend.  It's a functional, busy, cleaning day around here with the rewards of pizza and a movie at night.  Home is clean and happy and school is put up until Monday.  And it's still enough of a work day to keep everyone busy and sane, but with room to insert bits of recreational time.  So Aidan and I made some favorite muffins-- but I hadn't made it in so long I had forgotten that these muffins were definitely not healthy (say one cup of sugar for twelve muffins?  No.)  So I played around with the recipe and got something really good- it's still far from healthy, but much better than what it was.  What really makes these muffins fabulous is the exterior- dipped in melted butter and rolled around in a cinnamon and sugar mixture- of course that's completely optional if you want to miss out...

Cinnamon, Nutmeg & Sugar Muffins

Yields a dozen.

Ingredients
-1/2 c. sugar
-1 stick of butter
-2 eggs
-1/2 c. milk
-1 tsp. vanilla
-1 1/2 c. flour
-1 tsp. baking soda
-cinnamon, nutmeg (to taste)

Directions
-Preheat oven to 350 F.  Grease a 12 cup muffin pan.
-Cream butter and sugar- then stir in eggs and milk and vanilla.
-Mix in dry ingredients until thoroughly blended.  Batter will be doughy.
-Pour evenly into muffin cups.
-Bake for 15-20 minutes.
-Let cool (you can flip the muffins over in the pan to cool faster)
-Dip muffins in melted butter and then roll in a mixture of cinnamon and sugar.
-Serve warm!



5 comments:

  1. this is perfect, dear. you capture life so beautifully.
    xx. marcia

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness, yum. i'll be making these soon.
    beautiful photographs. i love your style. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kind of really admire the way your words and photos spill effortlessly off the page then into my soul.
    Also, Friday nights are pizza&movie nights? Same here.
    And Friday is your favourite day of the week? Gotta be kidding me - we're like long lost twins. J'adore jeudi ('I adore Friday' in French -- I think).

    Love you to bits.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. these look scrumptious, m'dear. and your stills!!! *be still my heart* love you lots. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Did you know that in the state of Kansas that exact morning, muffins were being made in our kitchen as well?! 8D (By my sister)

    Really likin' the b&w...I should do more of them. =)

    ~Jenny

    ReplyDelete