Ingrids

April 24, 2013


The Peace of the Wild Things

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of the wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief.  I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light.  For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.
-Wendell Berry-

It is good to have words of others to make sense of your own.  For the last couple days- every sunnier morning- Ingrids have flown over the field to the back of our house.  It's a wonderful sight.  And although I'd give a lot to have had a telephoto lens to capture the bird's exact movement up close... I'm glad to have just been there in the peace of the wild things.

--

4 comments:

  1. I don't think I will ever have a satisfied amount of your posts, m'dear. love you to pieces. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. there's something about your posts... Something still and quietly beautiful. Your not posting to show off, per say, but to document simple, raw, emotional moments that touch the hearts of your reader.

    I really do love this, Gabby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "It is good to have words of others to make sense of your own." love this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's just something about birds in flight...it inspires us, awes us, and makes us get out our camera! ;)

    xx~Jenny

    P.s. I agree with Acacia; you post what you love, not what you think others love. <3

    ReplyDelete