A lone bird.

March 9, 2013

There is a lone bird whistling this morning.  It's six something and the sun is in her earliest stages of resurrection.  When I glance out at the window, the sky is a promising blue without a trace of clouds: a sun filled day.  I wipe the leftover sleep that's stuck in my eyes.  There's a delicate brush of cotton pink down at the line of the horizon and it fades to yellow which fades into blue the further you look up at the sky.  Now the sun has peeked her head over the horizon, shining fire.  The sky is a true, clear blue.  The outlines of my window highlight the wall from where the sun shines.  Golden orange.  The lone bird still whistles.  And the bird doesn't stop singing because it's the only one brave enough to welcome the sun and the light she brings.  It sings for all it's worth because there's nothing better than to be alive.

"Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion.  Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly." -Franz Kafka

I won't try to convince you; I won't sermonize- I've learned that trying to convince people whether with reverse physiology or plain begging will not work.  So I won't even try to make you believe me.  But in honesty on my part, I can say that life is good.  And if you don't want to believe me, or you think that life isn't good, then that's your choice, lovie.  But as for me, I can't get enough of living.  There is nothing, nothing like waking up early in the morning with the first blue sky in too long, the twittering of a single bird, and taking a weekend trip to my favorite place in the world.  And if I can drive most of the way there for the first time, if I can begin memorizing my fingertips moving across the map, if I can memorize the roads and the color of the gold glints in our hair mussed from traveling, then all the better.  And if I do it with you, or as a lone bird following my most intense obsessions- I'll do it mercilessly.
--

9 comments:

  1. beautiful. the photo is my favorite photo you've taken (no joke) and the words are stunning. this sentence: "if i can begin memorizing my fingertips across the map, if i can memorize the roads and the color of the gold glints in our hair mussed from traveling, then all the better." that is perfection. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, my gracious, gabby dear!! this is absolutely incredible. the new design, the photograph, the words. i'm so proud of you, honey, for just loving this wonderful life that our Heavenly Father has given us.
    love you so much | goosey girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new design is perfect, dearie! I love the full screen photographs. And speaking of photos, the one in this post is delightful and makes me look out my window mournfully and longingly. I agree with you that life is good. Thank you so much for that simple reminder.

    Hugs,
    Emily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is lovely, Gabby. gorgeous. and your new design? it seems we are thinking alike. (my new "design" design isn't up, but... you'll just have to see. haha. i changed my blog 3 days ago.) this is gorgeous, dear. so lovely. your words are like poetry--enthralling, inspiring. they make my heart beat a little faster. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, just yesterday morning I heard something and suddenly relized that it had been missing for a while; Birdsong!
    Your words bring it back just now, and harmonize with my delight at hearing that sound.
    The colors, how they fade into each other, your description is so lovely. ♥
    I also like how the photo and the spring green you use for your blog title go with each other; this is pretty much the perfect post for March and a peek at spring! =D
    I like that quote; it's a good one. ('Course you already think that, but hey, now you know I do too.)

    xx `Jenny ♥♥

    P.s. Technical question : Is that photo displayed at 'original size'? or just 'extras large'? It really stands out with it's size! and is generally goregoud too. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much, Jenny! Your comments are so beautifully encouraging.

      And yes, my photos are put at original size... though I do scale them before I upload them to blogger- 950 px to groove with my blog's width :)
      --

      Delete
  6. Aww, shuckleberries! I 'm glad. =)
    Yeah, I re-size mine too; 14 megapixels take a long time to upload!
    Thanks!

    ~Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the new design! Keep up the good work Gabby :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay. Okay. Okay. This is so good, dear - SO, so, so, so good. Your blog is my current all-time favourite. (I don't know why I didn't have you on my favourite reads list before - you're totally going on there now.)

    Your words are the best. And you design? OHMYGOSH I'M FREAKING OUT THE COLOUR IS INCREDIBLE AND BEAUTIFUL. Seriously, I don't even know how it's so perfect.

    xxx Acacia

    ReplyDelete