Breakfast Loaf + Spring Ache

February 9, 2013

These days have been incredibly squished with long to do lists and projects I've been working on.  I am not altogether fond of fast moving days, but it's nice to get so much done.  It all has been moving at the rate of this spring- which is fast and blossoming.  There's actually a bunch of daffodils growing in the front yard and huge, fluffy clouds against a deep, blue sky.  My goodness, I think we even had a day that hit seventy two degrees!  It's cold again, but it's funny how one day like that- a good, warm day with no gray clouds- will start a spring ache in your heart.  Just when you thought winter would never end, then, of course, you can feel spring coming after all. (and I just can't wait!!!)  And this calls for making breakfast loafs.

This is really a muffin recipe, but I found it works great as a breakfast loaf.  I made them into four mini loafs, slathered with butter on top and a cinnamon sugar sprinkle.  Yum, right?  In reality, I over baked this poor loaf, but rather feel in love with the results.  The exterior has a great crunch and the inside is soft and sweet.  You can easily make it as one big loaf by just using a regular sized loaf pan.

Breakfast Loaf

-1/2 c. butter
-1/2 c. sugar
-2 eggs
-2 c. flour, wheat
-1 c. milk
-1 T. baking powder
-1 tsp. salt
-1/2 tsp. nutmeg
-1 tsp. cinnamon

-Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Grease loaf pans.
-Cream butter and sugar.  Lightly whip in eggs.  Mix in flour.  Sift in baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
-Pour batter into loaf pans.  Bake for 20 minutes or so.
-Smear butter on the top of the loaf and sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon over it.

Enjoy, 'kay?
--

p.s. I apologize for it being so quiet!  Our internet broke for a couple days...  Did I mention there isn't any internet service where we are living?  Which is farrrrr away from any "big" town?  Why, yes, we do.  And have you ever heard of a router box?  No?  Well, apparently one shouldn't let router boxes overheat because it ends up with a broken battery and all one can do is say bye bye to internet for four to six business days.  I love living in the country *grins*

5 comments:

  1. gah. spring. i wish!
    love this recipe -- i'll be trying it very soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. these photographs are just ridiculously beautiful, dearheart!!! and the recipe will definitely be tried out soon. ;)

    love always, forever, and a day,
    goose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, this looks delicious, and the ingredients are common household ones...I will have to try this soon!
    Spring? We just got at least two feet of snow, and a bit more is coming. Oh, the joys of Maine...*smile*

    Hugs,
    Emily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These photos make my heart sing -- they're stunning! And, of course, I'd love to try out this recipe. :)

    xx Acacia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, whew! We're not the only ones whos breakfast breads have a ....erm, 'mountain' texture on top! Our banana bread does that fairly frequently, except for the time we made it with honey instead of sugar and we had 'swimming pool' bread! =P
    "20 minutes or so" That's my style of baking! ;)
    Mmmm, a great crunch and sweet and soft inside. Your pictures are so simple and yet they say a lot, or smell a lot. (okay that was weird)anyway I think I can smell it from here...!

    xx ~Jenny

    ReplyDelete