Journals & a little boy

January 31, 2013


Staying at home, watching the kids, balancing schoolwork piled on my knees with a cup of coffee, revising a narrative essay for class: basically week life, right now.  And it makes the oncoming weekend that much prettier (let's be honest, it's like having a happy, flickering candle burning in the back of your mind, knowing that the weekend will be coming, right? Yup.) Throughout this messy, dear life I do a lot of journaling.  I am not sure what it is, but sitting down under the soft, yellow glow each night to write my own story is somehow very comforting.  I never write my day out in real thoughts.  In fact, I really despise diary writing, "Today I did this, and then I did that, and henceforth I shall do this."  I write out feelings, I grope for the right words, try to explain, and feel happy when my short entry is done.  My poor journal is probably the most incomprehensible piece of writing anyone could ever read, but it makes me feel safe knowing that I am the only one who will understand it.  Coming to a journal is so different from anything else.  Seeing a blank page ready for my words: brilliance and the most scary thing in the world.  I guess, after a while, you get addicted to it.

It's fun having a five year old brother.  It's almost like having an ocean living in your home- one never knows when it will turn into a tempest or a fair day for sailing.  I like it, though, because of that.  Some days, Aidan "wipes" my kiss off his forehead in disgust, and some days he kisses my forehead like an angel.  Other days, he runs around the house, spins and laughs, buckling over with so much laughter and letting it all out.  I love him so much.

--

6 comments:

  1. I just found your blog yesterday, and I absolutely adore it. From the design, to the pictures, to your writing style, everything is just so lovely.
    And this post? I don't really know how to explain it, but your writing style is one of my favorites...simple yet beautiful and descriptive. Love this post.

    Blessings!

    -Madi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, dearheart. I love this so much. Really. You are an incredible photographer and your words completely describe how I feel when pouring my heart out to my darling journal {wanna know a secret? I name my journals so I feel like I'm writing more of a letter than to in an inanimate object}. I always wrote in a "diary" until this past year when spinning life into tangible words completely enraptured me and definitely made more sense {although, most of my entries don't make sense. ah, well}. ;)

    Love you, dearest!
    Goose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! Your journal looks so...neat! As in orderly and not hurriedly jotted down... *cough*
    I never liked diaries, though mine from age 9 tends to that style; "Today we made a fort out of a box only the wind kept blowing it over so we had to be in it all the time and then we couldn't think of anything to do in it and it was to stuffy inside and we wanted to make shelves and then I had to go in."
    It's rather amusing...! ;D
    I like the pictures of your brother; even though two of them are "blurry", I lke them that way. Little boys often move so fast even I see them as a blur!(let alone my camera...) =D
    Good post.
    I really like the last picture, the focus and everything...mmmm.

    xx ~Jenny
    P.s. I really appreciate your comments; Thanks so much! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. ''It's fun having a five year old brother. It's almost like having an ocean living in your home- one never knows when it will turn into a tempest or a fair day for sailing. I like it, though, because of that. Some days, Aidan "wipes" my kiss off his forehead in disgust, and some days he kisses my forehead like an angel. Other days, he runs around the house, spins and laughs, buckling over with so much laughter and letting it all out. I love him so much.''

    I didn't think I'd have to copy and paste that paragraph into the comment box, but I did because it is so so so beautiful and it makes my eyes well up with nostalgic tingly tears. and now? oh stop - i'm cryyying!

    love,

    acacia

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous. some of my favourite pictures and words right here. :)

    ReplyDelete